The Tongariro Northern Circuit, a 2-4 day tramp in the Tongariro National Park.
A ‘Great Walk’ of New Zealand, the Northern Circuit passes through the foothills of Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe and can be walked in either direction. The track is an intermediate level of fitness track & well marked. Best months to hike are October to April. Great walks season October to May.
The Tongariro Northern Circuit is an area of true magic with unique landforms of volcanic craters and ancient valleys. It is a 43km km trip and can be planned around a two-to-four-day hike, encountering summit peaks and glacier springs. The track can be accessed from National Park Village. National Park Village is a one stop shop for the wildness experience. Plateau Lodge is located just a short distance from the start of the track and is in the centre of the township. Most popular starting points are Whakapapa Village and Mangatepopo Road end. To access the starting points of the track can be by shuttle or own car.
Booking your huts/campsites and researching track conditions in advance is highly recommended. Due to the sometimes volatile volcanic landscapes, it is important to check current websites. Visit DoC or print the Tongariro Northern Circuit brochure or the Tongariro Northern Circuit Track Guide
What to do next?
- Start off at Greatwalks NZ for more information
- Book your huts and campsites online with DoC visitor centre
- Book your transport to and from the track
- Buy your food and pack your bags (download the Great walks packing list and make sure you have everything you need)
- Read up on safety and make sure you’re well prepared for your journey and changeable weather (make sure you have left your intentions with a trusted contact at Adventure Smart)
- Print your ticket and official track guide and lace up your boots.
Tongariro Northern Circuit Return Transport
8am, 12pm & 2pm departure, returning at 12:30pm, 2:30pm & 4:30pm
$20 one way
Shuttles are run by our sister company, Tongariro Crossing Shuttles.